Moving can be a very stressful experience for most of us. But with the right approach and a good team of movers results can be really good and moving will feel like a breath of fresh air instead of a huge chore. With that in mind, it can be very hard to figure out what to do and what you should avoid doing while moving to a new place. In order to make things easier, here’s a quick list of do’s and don’ts to focus on if you want a successful move.
- Study multiple movers to see their offer; this way you will find the best bang for your buck. Even if it might take a while to compare all kinds of moving companies, it will help you save money in the long run, and that’s what you should be striving towards.
- Create a checklist with everything you need to do and all the items that you want to move.
- Ideally, you want insurance for costly items. These can break or get damaged during transport, and insurance will help you ease the pressure.
- Measure everything twice. You want to be 100% sure that your current items are suitable for the new location. If not, you might have to sell them and purchase new ones.
- Pack a bag with all the necessary items you will need for the first night. This means you won’t have to open up any other boxes until the next day, so you relax and plan out how you arrange everything.
- Label all your boxes. This goes a long way since it makes it easier to handle and manage every item you moved. However, it’s also a good idea to have a color set for certain rooms, that will make it even easier to figure out where every box needs to go.
- Consolidate boxes if possible. Some boxes are fragile, so they need proper consolidation to avoid any damage.
- Don’t hire any moving company before you study the market and check reviews. This will give you great insight into what companies are suitable for you.
- Avoid bothering movers while working; it will lead to a low-quality job.
- Take valuables with you, don’t leave them in the truck. They can get damaged most of the time.
- Don’t hire a moving company which is not insured.
- Don’t forget to declutter. Put all the items in a large pile and then start checking every item to see if you use it or not. This way you can sell lots of items or donate them to others.
- Never sign any mover contract before reading it. Some movers have extra fees and other stuff that might not be showcased So you do need to read the contract very well to avoid those unwanted charges.
- Stop paying for moving supplies. You will be able to find boxes at restaurants, stores, and bars.
- Never wait until the last minute to start packing. This is a time-consuming process, and when you rush to prepare everything for the movers, you can either break stuff or forget various items.
This list should help you get started with the moving process. And it also enables you to figure out what type of tasks you need to avoid. If you follow this comprehensive list, you will have no problem making things a lot more bearable as you move to a new place.